Joan A. O'Brien Research Award Recipients and their Winning Abstract Titles
Raleigh, North Carolina
• Kathleen Ivester, INFLAMMATORY AIRWAY DISEASE IN YOUNG THOROUGHBREDS ENTERING RACE TRAINING, Kathleen M Ivester (1), Laurent L Couëtil (1), and Neil Zimmerman (2), 1) Veterinary Clinical Sciences and 2) School of Health Sciences, Purdue University
• Henna Heikkilä, CAN BIOMARKERS HELP TO DIFFERENTIATE IDIOPATHIC
PULMONARY FIBROSIS AND CHRONIC BRONCHITIS IN DOGS? HP. Heikkilä (1), E. Krafft (2), P. Jespers (3), K. McEntee (2,3), MM. Rajamäki (1), C.
Clercx (2). 1) University of Helsinki, Finland. 2) University of Liège, Belgium.
3) Free University of Brussels, Belgium.
• Kristina Goncalves Goncarovs, EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF A NEW TREATMENT FOR RECURRENT AIRWAY OBSTRUCTION IN HORSES USING SOUND WAVES, Goncarovs KO*, Miskovic M, Perez-Moreno C, Couetil LL, Dept. of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University
• Alisha Gruntman, DIFFERENTIAL EFFECTS OF AGE ON COMPENSATORY LUNG REGROWTH AND TYPE II ALVEOLAR EPITHELIAL CELL PROLIFERATION IN MICE, Gruntman AM (1), Mazan MR(1), Nolen-Walston RD(1), Jennings SH (2), Ingenito EP (2), Hoffman AM(1), 1) Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, 2) Brigham and Women's Hospital Harvard University, MA
Hueber, University of Leipzig, Germany: “Brachycephalic
airway syndrome: effects of partial turbinectomy on intranasal airway
Misckovic, Purdue University, USA: “Protein
expression patterns in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of horses with recurrent
• Undine Christmann, Virginia
Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, USA: “Lung surfactant
and severity of disease in horses with recurrent airway obstruction”
• Friederike Range, Freie Universität Berlin,
Germany: “Cloning and molecular characterisation of eCLCA1, a putative
calcium-activated chloride channel in the equine lung and its significance
in equine chronic bronchiolitis”
– No Awards – VCRS Planning Meeting,
Blacksburg, VA, USA
– Montreal, Canada
Christophe Desmet, University
of Liège, Belgium: "Selective blockade of NF-kB activity in
airway immune cells inhibits the effector phase of experimental asthma"
• Susannah Norman, Centres for
Equine Studies, Animal Health Trust,
Lanwades Park, Suffolk, UK: "Atonomic dysfunction in horses affected
by recurrent airway obstruction (RAO)”
• Chris Deaton,
Animal Health Trust, Suffolk, UK
• Michael Leroy, University of
Liège, Belgium: " Interferon alpha-induced resistance to bovine
PI-3 virus is mediated through the MX pathway"
Chris Deaton, Animal Health Trust, Suffolk,
• Lais Costa, Louisiana State
University, USA: "Culture of primary and transformed equine airway
Nathalie Kirschvink, University of Liège,
Belgium: “Effect of chronic airway inflammation and exercise on
pulmonary and systemic antioxidant status of healthy and heaves-affected
• Scott Pirie, Wellcome Trust
Centre for Research in Comparative Respiratory Medicine, Midlothian, Scotland:
• Lais Costa,
Louisiana State University, USA: "Nitric oxide as an inflammatory
mediator in horses with summer-pasture-associated obstructive pulmonary
• Christophe Uystepruyst, University
of Liège, Belgium: “Changes in respiratory mechanics measured
by IOS during the first day of life in calves"
• A research grant was also awarded in 1999 to
Lais Costa (Louisiana State University).
• Dominque Votion,
University of Liège, Belgium: “Subclinical lung inflammatory
process assessed with scintigraphy"
Chander S. Celly, University of Guelph,
Canada: "Hypoxemic and Cardiopulmonary effects of medetomidine and
ST-91 in conscious calves”
• Lynelle Johnson
– University of Illinois, USA: “The efficacy of theophylline
in preventing experimentally-induced bronchoconstriction in cats”
• Jonathan Hare,
University of Guelph, Canada: “The effect of sodium cromoglycate
on racehorses with elevated mast cell numbers on bronchoalveolar lavage
and reduced exercise tolerance”
• Stephanie Rubie,
Michigan State University, USA: “Flunixin Meglumine blocks the effect
of furosemide on horse airways”
• Elizabeth Rozanski,
University of Illinois, USA: "Use of tidal breathing flow-volume
loops for the evaluation of feline chronic bronchial disease"
• Tatiana Art,
University of Liège, Belgium: "Effect of strenuous exercise
on the lung mechanics in thoroughbred horses”
• Michele Doucet, University of